Friday, September 25, 2015

Family.

I would like to have a discussion about family. What it means to me. What my interpretation of it is, and what I think it should be.

I was raised in Colorado with my parents and siblings. We moved here when I was a baby. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins are mostly in Michigan.

To me family is unbelievably important. Family by no means has to do with blood, it's about people who show up in your life and are always there for you no matter what. The people the truly love you and respect you as a human. Family should feel like a community. Blood and non blood family is so important. These people have a history to share. They have love to give. They are our foudation, our stability, the glue that holds us together. Family should be cherished and always shown love and respect.

I've always had the utmost respect for my grandparents, I cherish every moment God has granted me to have with them. I have absolutely no idea why some people don't show respect and cherish their grandparents. They have so much knowledge, history and love to share. At least mine did and do. It bothers me when people act annoyed or like they are a burden. Show some respect, listen to them, love them. They will be gone before you know it.
My mom's mom passed when I was 14. I deeply cherish the memories I have of her. I can still hear her giggle, and remember every detail of her kind, always smiling face. I remember curling the tiny bit of hair she had grown back after her final round of chemo. She was so happy to let us pamper her.
My mom's father passed when I was 19. He was a joker and always working. He had strong opinions and loved to debate. I will never forget the last time I saw him. It was hard to see someone who I remember being so strong look so weak. 

My dad's parents are both still very alive and pretty darn healthy. I have so many beautiful memories with them. They are kind loving never judgmental and always supportive. They have beautiful stories to share. Grandma always makes the most delicious treats and Grandpa is always making beautiful things in his workshop. I am so thankful my son has been able to meet them and see where my family lives this summer.

Unfortunately I haven't had lots of time with my aunts, uncles, or cousins. I have awesome memories of all of them with the exception of a couple cousins I haven't yet met. Somewhere along the road of life distance has come between some of my family. I don't understand it, but luckily this week I've been able to have some time with some cousins I haven't seen in years. We've been able to share stories and reconnect. It's been so fun!

I hope all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins know how much they mean even though there is a lot of distance and years between us. Maybe someday we will all cross paths again.
I hope my non blood family members know how much I cherish and appreciate them. Life without you all would feel incomplete.

To the people reading this, take some time to share love with your grandparents. Don't act annoyed, show some respect. Cherish your time with blood relatives. Recognize the people who aren't blood related that have come into your life and filled a void in your world, they are sometimes more family than your actual family. No matter how long it's been or what may have come between you and family, have an open heart. We all have weirdos that we'd rather not claim, give them kindness and love anyway.

I recognize that there are times when we absolutely have to cut people out of our lives. Try to let them be, don't judge. Always offer a smile and love of you cross paths. Don't let yourself become bitter.

Spread some SUNSHINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment